Re: CDROM problems with installer 2.2.23

On Monday 17 September 2001 08:19 pm, richard wrote:
> Hi
>
> Have installed potato(carefully,multiple times) using boot floppy images
> 2.2.23 from CDROM. On reboot, apt-get tries to access packages and gets
> error: "fs iso9660 not supported by kernel". Using mount has always
> given the same error. I tried using an older version installer (2.1)

Sounds like you don't have support in your kernel for ISO 9660 file systems.
Which floppy images did you use?  I'd imagine they'd all at least have
support for ISO 9660.

If you're getting an fs error then it's likely your drive was detected but
the kernel can't read the media.  You could check your kernel logs (dmesg) to
see if your CD-ROM is detected, but I suspect it has been.

Usually your recourse is to recompile the kernel with support for ISO 9660
file system, but if you're using the stock kernel from the installation disks
then the fact that it can't read the CD is strange indeed.