Direcpc & Network stalls

Hello,

I have just recently installed Debian and I am having some serious network
problems with direcpc (win98 with winroute proxy) I am running kernel 2.4.9
with a 3com 905TX.   All is good on the local network.  No problems surfing
the web,  it is when I start to download anything 100K or larger it will
stall, I will even stall doing an update in dselect.   I believe this to be a
problem with the sattelite and latency, however this exact machine less then
a week ago had redhat on it for over a year with no problems.    Please note
that I can surf, pull email, so the network settings I believe are correct.
I think the problem is more to the latency of the dish and timeout settings.
 If you can help, this new debian user will be very happy!!!!

Thanks,
 Topp Dogg