sound problems

Hi!

I'm having problems with running the multimedia packages in potato, particularly the audio programs (I have XMMS and RealPlayer 8 to name a few). I'm using the CMI8330 sound card. I followed the readme file for CMI8330, compiling sound and sb as modules, then loading them via modprobe sb.

Everytime I run XMMS or Realplay using the root account, I don't run to any problems. However, when I'm using a normal account, and even though I su to modprobe sb, the program would respond "sound card is in use" or some dialog like that.

Now my questions:
1.) How do I make them work using the normal account? I believe it's in the file permissions, but what exactly do I need to modify? do i need to suid root any of those programs?
2.) It's not recommended to edit directly the /etc/modules.conf file in Debian, so how do i configure and load the sb module during startup?

Thanks!

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com