ppp problem

Hello,

I am having some problems to connect to my ISP (verizon.net) and was
hoping that someone could help me...

I just did a BIG "apt-get upgrade" (apparently even the Linux version was
upgraded to a testing one), and I was prompted many times about
configuration files, and instead of keeping mine (I thought that the
package developers would know better than me) and used the ones that came
with the package instead.  (I never had a problem before this upgrade.)

In any case, when I try to connect, I get connected and disconnected right
after.  A couple of times I could connect for like a minute...  and when I
use the apt-get, I get connected while it download the necessary files,
but as soon as it is done, I get disconnected.

I put some log files at
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/finotti/linux/logs
if someone is willing to take a look... (you can see a short connection,
that was done by "pon", and one long, done with "apt-get")

I don't think it is the modem or the provider, since I can connect with,
well, Windows...

Sorry to bother you with that...  I would really appreciate any help
though.

Thanks a lot,

Luis