Re: runtimes

Thus spake Shaul Karl on Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 03:16:27AM +0300:
 Thus spake whoever's name should be there that I lost, sorry:
> > I'd like to have two different runtimes. One that
> > boots into X and one that doesn't--but that still
> > offers network support and other goodies.
>

> And how are you going to manage that? Are you going to boot into a default run
> level and then interactively change to the other one if that suits you? Have
> an interactive script that will be run at boot time and ask the user what run
> level he wish to use?

"init xxx" as a kernel param at boot time. I *guess* you can have two LILO
options with the same kernel, one for each runlevel, use lilo's
boot-menu and then you can a very honest thing.

> <...>

> > Am I going to run into problems if I muck around with
> > the default runtime settings. Maybe set 5 as the
> > default and have it launch X. Use eihter 2 or 3 for
> > the console level?

No particular problem, if you know what you're doing. You may find
yourself with some important programs not loaded, but "that's all".

I suggest reading Will Trillich's "Runlevel Intro":
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/runlevels-intro/t1.html

HTH,
Romain