Re: Printing .pdf files

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:02:52AM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 02:17:25AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 09:37:45AM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au (mdevin@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> > > I am getting totally frustrated with trying to print .pdf files.
> > >
> > > Here is my setup:
> > > Printer: HP1220 - Laser with post-script level 2 emulation
> > > Print driver: CUPS (the potato version - cupsys_1.0.4-9_i386.deb)
> > >
> > > What happens is, I have heaps of trouble trying to stop the edges of
> > > pages being chopped off.  It seems to print OK, but the top part of the
> > > document is missing.  Yet there is a margin of some 7-8 mm at the top
> > > with nothing.
> >
> > I suspect you've got an A4 formatted document you're trying to print on
> > US-letter paper.
> >
> Yeah, I think you are on the right track there.  This bloody subject I
> am doing at Uni puts the lecture notes on the web and they all seem to
> be formatted as US-Letter.  But my printer will only do A4.  It wouldn't
> print at all when I tried to send these files directly to the printer.
> What I did then was with gv, saved every page of the document after
> changing the view to A4.  It created some 7mb file! but then when I
> loaded that file the view in gv said it was bbox (rather than letter)
> now.  Hmmmm.  I didn't really understand that, but if I sent that file
> to the printer then it would print but it cut off part of the file as I
> was saying above.
>
> > > I have tried passing -o page-top=70 arguments to the command.  I
> > > even tried the following: lp -d hp1220-fullpage -o page-left=70 -o
> > > page-right=70 -o page-top=70 -o page-bottom=70 lect10-1.pdf But it
> > > made no difference to the output.
> >
> > Don't think it will with postscript output.
> >
> > > Is there some GUI based application that will allow you to view and
> > > print .pdf files and adjust their margins etc.?
> >
> > Will you settle for command line?
> >
> > There are a slew of postscript utilities in, of all things, psutils.
> > Among them are tools to resize documents (mpage and psnup are others)
> > which can be used to resize *postscript* documents.
>
> I will take a look at these and give them a go.
> >
> > You'll want to dump pdf to postscript either through a viewer (xpdf
> > *only* produces ps -- it doesn't print directly), or with the pdftops
> > utility.
>
> So what you are saying is that there really isn't anything that I can
> use to play directly with the .pdf files.  I must first convert them to
> .ps and then resize them etc.

OK, I tried doing the above.  However, when I did:
pdftops lect10.pdf
The resultant file when viewed with gv doesn't have all the text
anymore.  I suspect it may use a truetype font or something non standard
for the fonts.  So if I resize the pages for this and then print it,
there is no text, only some diagrams come out on otherwise blank pages.

Btw, if I view the original lect10.pdf with xpdf, the text is missing
also.  I can however read the whole document properly with gv.  But I
can't seem to print to a file from gv.

This is a real mongrel.

Mark.