Installation Obstacle with X

I'm a little stuck.
I just installed Debian 2.1 on my old Pentium 166mhz
machine with 64 megs of RAM.

Installation went fine. I loaded a bunch of stuff off
the CD. After using Slackware 8 for a while, I didn't
find the text-based item-by-item so daunting.

I did xf86config to see what kind of x-window setup I
could get running. This is where the problem begins. I
saved the xf86config file and ran startx. I got a
bunch of colorful chopped up squares and rectangles on
my monitor. I quickly shut off the monitor and
rebooted.

Problem is, Debian seems to be starting the x window
system upon boot-up so I'm always getting dumped into
the screwed video settings.

How do I cut off the x window system and get Debian to
boot shell/terminal/command line, etc.

If I can just get to the command line, I'm sure I can
work from there until I figure out the proper
xf86config settings.

How do I interrupt the boot-up and get to the command
line before being thrown into graphical mode?

I don't remember choosing to start debian with a
graphical interface.

Thank you for your help. Thank you for your time.

Mike