Re: Printing .pdf files

on Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 09:37:45AM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au (mdevin@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> I am getting totally frustrated with trying to print .pdf files.
>
> Here is my setup:
> Printer: HP1220 - Laser with post-script level 2 emulation
> Print driver: CUPS (the potato version - cupsys_1.0.4-9_i386.deb)
>
> What happens is, I have heaps of trouble trying to stop the edges of
> pages being chopped off.  It seems to print OK, but the top part of the
> document is missing.  Yet there is a margin of some 7-8 mm at the top
> with nothing.

I suspect you've got an A4 formatted document you're trying to print on
US-letter paper.

> I have tried passing -o page-top=70 arguments to the command.  I even
> tried the following:
> lp -d hp1220-fullpage -o page-left=70 -o page-right=70 -o page-top=70 -o
> page-bottom=70 lect10-1.pdf
> But it made no difference to the output.

Don't think it will with postscript output.

> Is there some GUI based application that will allow you to view and
> print .pdf files and adjust their margins etc.?

Will you settle for command line?

There are a slew of postscript utilities in, of all things, psutils.
Among them are tools to resize documents (mpage and psnup are others)
which can be used to resize *postscript* documents.

You'll want to dump pdf to postscript either through a viewer (xpdf
*only* produces ps -- it doesn't print directly), or with the pdftops
utility.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org