Re: Exim delivery to a maildir (or just use procmail?) questions

On Sat, 2001-09-15 at 08:48, Ramin Motakef wrote:
> Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com> writes:
>
> > Ok, I've got courier-imapd installed and configured.
> >
> > How do I get exim to deliver all localy generated mail to stay in the
> > standard mail spool for the system but all other mail which is coming in
> > through fetchmail to go into a maildir so I can imap serve this to other
> > hosts I'm at during the day?
>
> You could append a different domain to Mail delivert by fetchmail eg.
> poll ... is someone@from.somwhere.else.com here
> and add from.somewhere.else.com to exims local_domains.

Ok, so what I'm doing is telling fetchmail to say that instead of
username@localhost it will be username@xxx and then configure exim to
take mail for username@xxx and then deliver that specially right?  I
just want to make sure I understand what I'll be configuring and why.

> > I've checked the docs in /usr/share/doc and the exim website and I see
> > references to maildir and I see something about maildir in the exim.conf
> > file commented out.  Should I just uncomment that and then it magically
> > works?  I'm not sure if thats all I need to fix to make it start
> > working.
> >
> > I also assume I need to make a maildir for myself, but then how do I get
> > exim to find it?  Do I need to make all other users a maildir now?  I'm
> > having trouble finding a good howto or even a non-cryptic faq.
> >
> > Or is what I really should be doing is looking into procmail to move
> > things not local from my mbox into the maildir?
> >
> > I'd appreciate any tips tricks, links or dire warnings.
> >
> > --mike
> >

> To use maildir delivery use something like
>
> maildir_delivery
>   driver = appendfile
>   create_directory = true
>   directory_mode = 700
>   directory = /var/spool/maildirs/${local_part}/
>   headers_remove = "Bcc"
>   user = <someuser>
>   group = <somegroup>
>   maildir_format
>   mode = 660
Now what exactly is going on here?  this as far as I can tell delivers
normal mail to users except those that we specify in the user and group
section?  Then those go maildir?  I'm a bit confused here.

> in the transports section and
>
> maildir_user
>    transport = maildir_delivery
>    domains = from.somewhere.else.com
>
> in the directors section.
So this is going to be hit first by exim which then calls the maildir
_delivery to anything coming from fetchmail.  I think I understand this
part at least ;>

Thanks for the help.  Hopefully I can leap from this to a better
understanding of the exim-fetchmail-imap systems.

--mike