Re: Voodoo3 on potato with X 3.3.6

Andrea Vettorello wrote:

> On Tue, 2001-09-11 at 18:18, Richard Hector wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've searched the archives, and elsewhere, but all the useful info seems
> > to be about installing with X 4 (which isn't in potato(?)), or on
> > redhat, or occasionally on Debian by using redhat packages.
> >
> > Is there no way to get 3d from this card using standard debian packages
> > on a stable installation?
> >

> IIRC, you need the device3dfx-source (with the correct packages that
> depends =) and with this you build a kernel-module (correct me if i'm
> wrong). This works only full-screen, but is a little faster than the
> XFree 4.x...
>
> It's very easy to build the module with kernel-package.

Interesting - I had read that I needed a /dev/3dfx, and found one in the
kernel source once I turned on experimental stuff - it was under DRI or
something, which worried me slightly as I'd only heard that term in
conjunction with XFree 4.x. And I haven't had any luck. So perhaps this
other source you mention is what I need.

OTOH, I'm thinking that perhaps I should upgrade to woody, and use XFree
4.x and kernel 2.4.x ...

Thanks,

Richard