Re: networking trouble

Robert Schweikert wrote:

> Shaul Karl wrote:
>
> > > When using pppconfig I selected DHCP for dynamic IP-addresses. I also
> > > tried setting "ipcp-accept-remote" and "ipcp-accept-local" which
> > > according to the man page for pppd allow the resetting of the
> > > ip-addresses according to the server (peer). Anyway, from the log
> > > comparison it looks like the changing of the ip-addresses is the only
> > > thing missing and/or failing.
> > >

> > I am not sure whether you need DHCP. What other options are there?
>
> I do need DHCP, my ISP does not support static addresses. Then again I
> don't think anybody does for dial up accounts.

I'm pretty sure IPCP (IP Configuration Protocol IIRC) is ppp's way of
dealing with dynamic addressing; if you use that you don't need DHCP as
well.

I'm not sure about the other stuff that can be negotiated at dialup,
such as DNS servers etc - I don't know whether IPCP does that, or
whether you need DHCP for that.

Richard