Re: Matrox G450 comments?

Quoth Gregory T. Norris,
> I need to replace the video card on one of my boxes, and I'm thinking
> of getting a Matrox G450.  I'd appreciate any comments on how well this
> card is working for people.  I don't have any real need for dual-head
> support, so I don't plan on using the binary-only mga.o driver from
> Matrox... I'd greatly prefer to stick with the XFree86 driver, if
> possible.

I'm currently running a G450 with an up-to-date woody, and I'm very
happy with it. It has a great quality 2D display (although your monitor
will contribute to this), and it runs the odd 3d app (Quake 3A) really
well.

The MGADesk utility is a bit of a first for linux, and makes it very
easy to set up your X display properly. Of course, you need the binary
modules from Matrox to run it.

The only issue that I have is that I can't get it to run in 32-bit at
1240x1024, which you'd think it should be able to do.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller :: Department of Criminology :: University of Melbourne

Did a large procession wave their torches
As my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket...
  -- TBMG, "Dead"