startx on another terminal say, tty8 and then tty9

A]] I tried startx -l:8 for getting
XWindows onto tty8 and then Ctrl+Alt+F8 to get there

         Result : (1)If the machine has not put up XWindows by default , then it
comes on tty7 , which is the default.
                 (2) if XWindows comes up as default , then this shows an error ,
saying that display is already active on 0.

B]] Then I did from another user's shell :
startx -l:10  for getting
XWindows onto tty9 and then Ctrl+Alt+F9 to get there.

 Result : this shows an error , saying that display is already active on 0.

I remember some member of the list confidently assuring members that you can open
XWindows display on more than one virtual terminal .

Please help . Urgently
(shyamk@eth.net)
Shyam