Re: Why so big(2)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 03:51:16PM +0100, P Kirk wrote:

| I don't have anything other than samba and python installed.  How can
| /usr/share be so big?

Actually you have a lot of stuff installed that you don't need if the
machine is only going to be a samba server and/or gateway/firewall.
Also remember that all documentation goes in /usr/share as well.

| autoconf install
| automake install
| autotools-dev install

| bin86 install
| binutils install
| bison install

| cpp install
| cpp-2.95 install

| debian-policy install

| doc-debian install
| doc-linux-text install

| exim install

| flex install

| g++ install
| g++-2.95 install
| gcc install
| gcc-2.95 install
| gcc-doc install
| gdb install

| glibc-doc install
| gpm install

| iamerican install
| ibritish install

| indent install
| info install

| ispell install

| libc6-dev install

| libncurses5-dev install

| libstdc++2.10-dev install

| libtool install

| lpr install

| lynx install
| m4 install

| make install

| man-db install
| manpages install
| manpages-dev install

| mime-support install

| mutt install

| ncftp install

| nfs-common install
| nfs-server install

| patch install

| perl-doc install

| procmail install

| proftpd install

| rcs install

| talk install
| talkd install

| task-c++-dev install
| task-c-dev install
| task-devel-common install

| tetex-base install
| tetex-bin install
| tetex-lib install
| texinfo install
| textutils install

| xfree86-common install
| xlib6g install
| xlibs install
| xviddetect install

This list is things that I don't think you need on this system.  If
you intend to have a nice, useful desktop system then they are good to
have but are probably not going to be used on a firewall/gateway
system.  It all depends on how the system is going to be used, which
only you know.  I also noticed that you have 3 different vi clones
installed -- you probably only need 1.  You could probably also remove
a bunch of other libraries, but you'll need to check the dependencies
that apt reports when you try and remove them.

HTH,
-D