Re: Lucent 56k Suddenly Stopped Working!

JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:

I was using my Lucent just fine earlier today, after installing a Linux599.zip driver. It worked great, except when I ran PPPD, it said there was no kernel PPP support. I looekd at make xconfig, and found that was indeed true. I enabled PPP support, recompiled, and installed the kernel, making a backup of my old one. I tried the new kernel, and now when I run PPPD, I get an error saying it can't open /dev/modem OR /dev/ttyS14 (my modem). When I run minicom, it says I'm online already as soon as it initializes the modem and won't let me get a command in edgewise to dial or anything. I tried restoring my old kernel, but it does the same thing! ...

Does anyone know what I should do?
-- Deven Gallo

Did you use a standard-kernel? This should have ppp support.

How do you (try to) get online? pon, wvdial, kppp .....?

Do the devices /dev/modem and /dev/ttyS14 exist?

Frank