Re: Birth of KDE

On Friday 06 July 2001 02:30, Lambrecht Joris wrote:
> While digging thru a google queryresult on Mailclients i stumbled
> across this archived mail . . . the birth of KDE ? It's pretty old
> Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:19:00 +0100 (MET)
>
> http://www.via.ecp.fr/lyx/archive/9610/msg00368.html
>
> Anyway, thought it was kinda cool.
>
> Forgive me, i'm getting much to sentimental right now.

Hmm, assuming the authenticity of the mail: it just confirms my
theories about the origin of the KDE/Gnome schism. The mail, a post
to the lyx list, was from Matthias Ettrich, from an email address
that's as German (and hence European) as you could get
(informatik.uni-tuebingen.de). The poster didn't dwell on the
"free-ness" of qt. He just wanted to create a really "Kool" desktop
environment. Which is understandable from a non-American perspective.
The initial Gnome reaction is also understandable. Cosmopolitan
America is an inherently litigious village, and so using the qt
library might have been more than a simple matter of scruples. Better
safe than sued.