Re: X Window Manager Alternatives

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 09:56:04AM +1000, Bek Oberin wrote:

| I read in the documentation that the deb for X 4.0.3 now uses
| /etc/alternatives to find a window manager to use.  I like
| icewm-gnome so I have:

Dunno about that.

| But when I bring up X, unless I start icewm manually, I end up
| with -no- window manager.

How are you brining up X?  startx or gdm?  With either one ~/.xsession
is run.  It is a shell script, and be sure _NOT_ to background the WM
or session mamager you use -- once xsession terminates you are logged
out (if you use gdm, you get a shell back if you used startx).  Mine
looks like

gome-session

and I use gnome's config to specify the WM.

HTH,
-D