Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

In message <[🔎] 008201c10281$327d6540$6501a8c0@me>, Me <me@self-
reference.com> writes
>> When I've mentioned about incompabilities between
>> distros then I've mentioned about not only packaging
>> format. I can only repeat that you expect to much if you
>> think that common packaging format is the only problem
>> of differences between distros.
>>
>> Please try to use something different than RH, i.e. Debian.

What makes you think I use RedHat? I don't, and I've used about 4
distros, including Debian. RH I ditched pretty quickly.

>I totally agree with you. There's a LOT more to cross distro
>compatibility than the package format and manager! A
>whole heck of a lot!!
>
>What would be cool would be if someone came up
>with a project specifically targetted at this much larger
>problem: cross-distro compatibility! Actually, this should
>have been started years ago, but never mind.
>
>I hereby put out a call for an initiative to do this. To begin
>to put flesh on this, I suggest the following draft opening to
>a mission statement for this effort:
>
>    The goal is to develop and promote a set of standards
>    that will increase compatibility among Linux distributions
>    and enable software applications to run on any compliant
>    Linux system.
>
>Anyone interested? Mariusz?

It's already in the works. As a replacement for this contentious
packaging bit...
as Lies-to-People.