Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

   Greets Nikki,

I have learned to hate x as well. yet if I want great x features, I have to
dig and play too. I finally picked up the voodoo 3 and am really pleased to
see good support and very nice rendering.

Now I wanted to advise you that you can KILL x without locking up your box. I
don't really think your computer "hung" but it simply went into a mode your
video card/monitor could not render. So, next time it happens, please try the
linux 3 finger solute:  control+alt+BACKSPACE    This will kill x and dump
you right back into the console where you started it from.

Next trick is after you have x running and all that good stuff, you can STILL
just press:  alt+F7 !

Finally, you can REBOOT the box with: control+alt+DEL

Anyway, I agree, x sucks when you need to get these cards to play nice. Next
release of debian will have far better tools (wahoo), and the new version of
x.

tatah and don't give up!

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls/TELE: USA-707-442-6579\/A GNU-Debian linux user
Email: ke6sls@arrl.net WEB: http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls ICQ: 12741145