Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

In article <[🔎] p5els48sth.fsf@lemming.engeast.baynetworks.com>, Paul D.
Smith wrote:
> %% Nikki Locke <nikki@trumphurst.com> writes:
>
>   nl> I ran XF86Setup, and chose the SVGA driver. I left everything
else
>   nl> alone. It hung my machine solid (again).
>
> Are you _sure_ your machine was hung?  That rarely happens.

Pretty sure. Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't work. Ctrl-Alt-Del didn't work. A
telnet session into the machine from elsewhere on the network stopped
responding.

It may be rare, but it happened to me. Twice :-(

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com            http://www.trumphurst.com/