Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

In article <[🔎] 01062815595700.20226@dipsy.opusvl.com>, Smokez wrote:
> Why not give something like progeny or one of the
> other distros which are debian based but aimed at
> easy of use ?
>
> while i personally prefer just debian (woody)
> but i know progeny has some pretty good X setup
> tools ect.

I don't suppose there is any chance of running their tools on plain
Debain?

If I did go to Progeny, do I have to start from the beginning (i.e. try
to remember all the configuration files I have painstakingly set up
correctly, and back them up, along with everything else I have
changed/added to the machine, so I can restore them), or can I use it
without trashing my existing installation?

Or maybe I could do a backup of my root partition, install Progeny on
it, set up X, copy the config files, then restore my original
partition. I wonder how I could go about restoring my root partition -
is it possible to make a boot floppy that does not need a mountable
root partition on the hard disk?

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com              http://www.trumphurst.com/