Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

In article <[🔎] 20010628130919.13916.qmail@web12807.mail.yahoo.com>, Hamma
Scott wrote:
> If you have Windows, use it to get the information
> needed. once installed, go to the properties option of
> the desktop menu under Settings Tab, go to the Display
> type to get the video card.

Been there, done that. Windows NT says

Desktop area 1024 by 768 at 72 Hertz
s3 compatible display adapter
Chip Type S3 Vision964
DAC Type: Brooktree Bt485
Memory size: 2MB
Adapter String: Diamond Stealth
Bios Information: <unavailable>

I took this information, and ran XF86Setup. I chose the S3 driver,
bt485 RamDac, "diamond" in the selected options, 2Meg Video RAM, and
left everything else alone, because none of the options seemed to
correspond to anything above. Then I pressed "Done", and my machine
hung up totally, forcing me to power off. On rebooting, fsck had to fix
quite a few things in my file systems. You can see why I am reluctant
to experiment!

> Check the monitor make/model, you should be able to
> find documentation online esp. if it's a Dell monitor.
> That's where I found my documentation.

The monitor has no make on it, neither does the paper documentation
sheet!

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com              http://www.trumphurst.com/