upgrading award bios to see ide 40mb disk

> hi,
> does anyone know how to upgrade an award bios (so that it will see my 40mb
> ide-drive) either via dos or under linux and a pointer to a site (other
> then award.com) to get the necessary tools/drivers.
>
> Thanx for any insites.
>
> -----------
> Andor Demarteau
> linux@disnet.demon.nl

I have done this several times here.  I have found that the absolute
BEST way is to visit the homepage of your MOTHERBOARD (not Award) and
get the proper files from their tech support section.  They usually have
excellent instructions on just how to do the upgrade.  The reason for
this is that each motherboard mfg. will apply certain custom "tweaks" to
their BIOS that they order from AWARD, and they will be the ones to have
the "latest and greatest" changes to make their motherboards work
properly.  Most of the times I have done this, the files were under the
tech support / downloads sections.  READ, COPY, and RE-READ the install
instruction carefully!  You can really mess up the MB, if you don't
follow the directions!!

You generally have to d/l two files.  The first is the new BIOS image,
and the second is an "Awardflash" utility program that actually does the
install of the image file.  Also, it is important that you bootup into a
minimal MSDOS environment (no extra drivers, extended memory enabled,
etc).  It is important since the flash program will use most of the
available memory below 640K.  I have found here that the "minmal dos"
selection on the WIN ME rescue floppy will give the proper environment.
Earlier versions of Windows were quite difficult to get going...you
essentially had to make a "system" disk and copy over the two files
mentioned previously....and ONLY those files!

I don't know of any way to do this under Linux, although I would be
quite happy to learn how if someone else knows.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-