PPP - On Demand Dialing / timeouts

Hello,

At this moment i'm using a modem in my Debian (potato R2, kernel
2.2.18pre21) box to connect to my ISP (If you can read this line, you know
that that part works... ;P) Using IPCHAINS i've set up masquaraing (works
fine also). I began experimenting with PPPd's (version 2.3.11) DEMAND
option. Initial results are encouraging. There is one problem i'm
encountering, see the steps below....

1. A client wants/needs to go on-line (say, someone types www.debian.org in
a browser)
2. This results in the client asking my BIND running on my Debian server to
resolve www.debian.org
3. The DNS is stupid, so it needs to ask the DNS server of my provider, thus
generating IP traffic on my PPP link
4. PPP starts dialing, negotiating, DHCP (yup, dynamic ip guys)
5. The client (1) complains that all this is taking *way* too much time (in
the mean time, pppd is still doing 4)
6. The user (me or my brother) gets pissed off, bashes on his keyboard (or
mouse) to convice the computer to try again....
7. Finaly we see the Debian site.

The real problem pops up when this is done by some automated process, like
retrieving mail. I have no idea where this goes wrong, all i want is that my
clients (To name them: Linux (Debian on my pc, ROCK Linux / Win98 on my
laptop and Win98 on my bothers pc) to have some more patience. idealy by
modifieng the Debian box. Btw, i've already echoed a 1 to
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr.

All help (and thinking) are greatly apreciated. If i failed to mention some
important piece of info on my system, please let me know.

Yours,
Nico de Haer