Re: Windows-like crashes!

Thus spake Andrew Overholt on Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 10:37:38AM -0400:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Romain Lerallut wrote:
>
> > > HOWEVER, whenever I try to play an MP3 in XMMS or view a movie in XMPS,
> > > the computer locks up completely!  I mean, we're talking Windows-like
> > > jamming (but without the mouse moving) without a Ctrl-Alt-Del response or
> > > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace either.  I have to hard reset my computer and then I
> > > get the usual fsck stuff which says there were "detached" inodes (I
> > > think ... or something like that) which get fixed (after entering the
> > > root password) and then the cycle repeats itself.
> >
> > Try aviplay instead. I have no problem with it.
>
> > What about sound ? It could also cause problems (including those
> > freezes)
> > What sound card are you using, with what kind of driver ?
>
> I'm using an SB Live with the kernel module emu10k1.  It's listed in my
> /etc/modules.  This never happenecd before (ie. the crasing - usually I'd
> just get errors like "Cannot access /dev/dsp" or something like that)
> and mpg123 does it too (the crashing)!

OK, this is good. I have an SB Live too and it works very well with the
kernel module.
( I tried Alsa but the sound was crappy)

The "cannot access /dev/dsp" *could* possibly be caused by an application using
/dev/dsp and bypassing any sound daemon ( such as arts or esd), thus blocking
any other app from using it too.

I use aviplay, xmms and mpg123 all three (at the same time sometimes :)
with esd  and I don't have any problem at all. I also used the avi plugin for
xmms.
However I've never managed to get a decent result from xmps, so I don't
use it.

I don't have to complain *too much* about the stability of Nvidia's
1.0-1251 drivers. Except they aren't opensource, which is a PITA
enough...

> I find the general performance of my system is suffering as well from this
> recent mysterious problem.

Try to pinpoint which app or driver is likely to cause crashes. My system is
running very smoothly with the apps I mentioned earlier...

> Thanks again,
>
> Andrew

Good luck.
Romain

--
"Don't talk to me about disclaimers!  I invented disclaimers!"
-- The Censored Hacker