Re: lp0 on fire

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:51:57 EDT, David wrote:

> I was printing a rather large label job from a local debian machine to a
> remote debian machine that has an old dot matrix printer attached to it.
> After about 10 minutes of printing to the remote printer, the message "lp0
> on fire" popped up on the remote machine's terminal and the printer stopped
> for a minute or so. The printer then continued, but the "lp0 on fire"
> message keeps coming up every several minutes along with the corresponding
> pause in printing. I did not find a similar message on the local machine.
>
> I do not recall this message when I would attach the dot matrix printer to
> the local debian machine and use the printer as a local printer.
>
> Any ideas what is happening? BTW, the print job came out fine.

I get this message whenever my Epson Stylus Pro 850 has any error, such as
out of ink, out of paper, overheating, etc. My other printer, an Epson
dot-matrix printer causes these messages on very hot days and during very
big print runs, but seldom fails to complete the print job. I assume that
"lp0 on fire" is how lpd reports any error message from the printer. I
could be wrong though - anyone got more/better info?

It does get one's attention quite efficiently.

--ptw

It sure does get ones attention though.

--
Paul T. Wright <paul@cvanet.com>