Re: I need a windows-linux solution
on your Linux box... amke sure you have samba configured properly...
- think you're making things more difficult than it is..
- make sure that the firewall does notprevent you from
getting to the "samba ports"
linux# cat /etc/exports
- export /home/brian you want the client_win_box to read/wrie
linux# cat /etc/smb.conf
- make sure /home/brian is listed
network make the drive, linux:/home/biran to V: or whatever
=== what do you mean ... samba is apparently blocked at the cable co ???
=== that's NOT reasonable...
=== easy test is to have a windowPC on the same lan as the linux box
=== and see if it works locally on the same wire... than going
=== across the internet on 2 DSL lines is matter of firewalls and
=== security *you* allow or disallow access to *your* machines
- always use ip# .. not host.domain_name.com
- if you have dynamic ip# on your dsl.... hummm ... more fun
you can also install ssh on your windows PC...
- use ssh to log into your linux box and do your magic
- use scp to copy fils from linux to windows or vice versa
- when copying files from linux to windows filesystems...
its a good idea to backup your windows box due to
some old incompatibilities between window and unix
time stamps and file permissions
- samba-2.0.7 or better should be okay w/ linux-2.2.16 or better
and for more fun... you can use (secure)VNC to do your magic too
from linux to windows or vice versa
http://www.Linux-1U.net .... 500Gb 1U Raid5 ....
On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Brian Schramm wrote:
> I have a Linux machine on a cable modem. That server has a lot of files
> that I need to get to from a Windows machine in another location that is
> on a dsl line. I have tried samba but it is aparently blocked at the
> cable co. I think NFS is open but there is no nfs client that I have
> gotten to work on windows yet I have pcnfs installed on my Debian server
> and my local 95 machine does not attach to it. I have tried ice-nfs and
> omni for client software.
> Is there a way to do this? Is there a problem in doing this? I am at my
> wits end.
> Please help.