Re: apt-get --print-uris in NoLocking mode

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:56:23AM +0200, Santi B?jar wrote:
>    I try to get a list of all the .deb to be installed (with
>    --print-uris), but I have to do it like root. I thought that if I add
> a "-o Debug::NoLocking=yes" would make it possible to run it like
> user. But I get this:
>
> bash$ apt-get --print-uris -o Debug::NoLocking=yes upgrade
> E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

installing a package is something that'll affect anything from a
tiny pocket of a remote corner of a dusty drawer in the far
reaches of your system -- to upgrading your kernel.

you wouldn't want gomer or floyd or opie to be able to do that,
now, would you? gotta be root to do root-level things.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #2 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: