Re: modutils

Thomas Weinbrenner wrote:
> ,----[ /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes ]
> | Current Minimal Requirements
> | ============================
> |
> | Upgrade to at *least* these software revisions before thinking you've
> | encountered a bug!  If you're unsure what version you're currently
> | running, the suggested command should tell you.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | o  modutils               2.4.2                   # insmod -V
> `----

It means that the package has to be reinstalled from unstable, right?

I have updated my sources.list so that it points to unstable too.
bdg:~# apt-get install modutils
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libc6 libc6-dev libdb2 libdb2-util
5 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 210 not
upgraded.
Need to get 177kB/5996kB of archives. After unpacking 8225kB will be
used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

It seems that libc6 has to be upgraded too; what are the consequences of
having unstable libs on a stable machine? Well, actually, my question
is: what unstable packages do you have to install on a stable machine in
order to have the machine having 2.4.4 kernel and be able to run it
smoothly?

I'd like to do "apt-get dist-upgrade", but having read those horror
stories....
Is there any way to upgrade "piecemeally" so that if some libraries
create some error then it would be easy to step back a bit (and having
be able to boot the machine, of course).

TIA,
Oki