secure X terminal? (was: 12 box network...)

On  an only  slightly related  note, has  anyone some  experience with
secure X terminals? The i686 box on  my desk is noisy. I would like to
replace it with an X terminal,  but the X connection must be secure (I
type various  root passwords  and stuff into  this box).  I'm thinking
about a quiet diskless i486, running X over ssh. Anybody done this?
Or are there any products out there that do this out-of-the-box?
-chris