RE: Debian 2.2 in Armada E500

Hi,
I'm precising what I have done - may be you say me if I'm
doing wright and what I have to modify in my installation.
-I use a couple of CDs that I have burned (note that I have
not the option multi-CD),
-I make a partition and
-I continue to install the services suggested by the CD-ROM
(at that time, I dont'install any particular driver, neither
the network).
-I don't know what image is chosen but I give for path:
/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current
-after this my system is rebooted correctly and I continue
with installing packages - I choose tasksel and it'all.
-I use XF86Config of my previous Redhat and X server works fine
-problem with mouse - it is linked to gpmdata device; after a
painful work I realised that it worked only when I run gpm
-I tried to install the modem (it's a win modem, Lucent). This
seemed to be Ok with the ltmodem568 package.
-I tried to install a ppp connection but the same script I use
in RedHat didn't worked.
-I installed Enlightment and Gnome, but graphical interface more
bizarre and difficult to work than that one I have not seen!

Having so pain;-) I get back temporary to RedHat.
It's all I have experimented. I don't know if my CD-s are the
right one (I have no seen  anywhere that vanilla flavour).
Another question, expect xf86setup, does there are in Debian any
text tool to configure different hardware?

Any clue, suggestion or precised experience (this definetly would
be the best) is helpful.

Regards,
Arian.