Re: Gnumeric - too big

> > Compiling from source may not be any better. For example,
> > in addition to needing "esound-common" installed, you may
> > also need
>
> hmm why do I need sound at all.. its a spreadsheet.. that was
> one of the strangest deps I was hoping could be disabled in
> the source. I never have desktop sounds enabled..

Yeah, I picked a good example, didn't I ?? In fact, gnumeric may not
have any sound capabilities at all. Maybe it does... Where esound
comes in is that *another* package that gnumeric requires requires
esound itself. Aren't dependencies great ?? ;-)

> Wouldn't mind if it was just gnome-libs, but that list is ott.
>
> > there may be configure options that would allow you to disable
> > some functions and get away with not needing a package, but
> > it would likely be more trouble than it's worth.
>
> certainly sounds like it :(

This leads to another question: If a "--disable-something" option is
given to the ./configure script, is the Makefile dynamic in that it
won't check for the file(s) that would normally take care of what's
been disabled ?? Does that make sense ?? ;-)

Hall