Re: Novice mail project

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 05:00:16AM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe it was in this list within the last week or so that someone
> made the point that the best way to learn Linux was to have goals, or
> better still a project. To these ends I have set my self a project.
>
> We have a PC each here. My wife and two daughters each run WinMe and I
> have Debian on these two in front of me. The machines all get out
> through a cable modem. I want to have one of the linux machines act as a
> collection point for all incoming email and have each client collect it
> from the local server. I want the four of us to be able to email each
> other with out it leaving the house
>
> Am I right in thinking that I need something like "sendmail" and
> "procmail" on the server and any old mail client on the Windows/Linux
> machines in order to get this done? Do I need to be setting up any other
> software specifically to make this work?
>
> I know something like sendmail is probably overkill, but the object her
> is education not ease of setup. Whilst this is likely a trivial task for
> most, it is a starting point for me

Exim is your default MTA but you might want to look into postfix.  It
has a good reputation for security.  fetchmail can be used to snag
mail off your isp.  You will also need to set up a pop3
server or IMAP server.  I think in your situation pop3 would be more
convenient.  qpopper is an easy one to set up.  Set up the mail clients
on the windows boxes to point to your mail server.
You might also look into running an internal dns server for sending mail
between machines, internally.  Hope that gets you started.  You will
have more questions once you begin.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted