Re: small school: replacements for MS Word and Excel

OK, the two messages previous posts kind of play off eachother so I'm
going to reply to them in one go.  First off ext2, it has a really bad
habit of losing files in hard crashes and power outages, this isn't a
problem for someone like you or I as we know how to recover them, for a
student with no root and no knowledge of how to do this, it's called a
couple of hours work down the tubes.  And second the office suites, the
first post says WP8 is crap, the second WP9, can we say inconsistant
performance?(StarOffice has never been stable for me in potato or sid,
though I still use it) The question when trying to evangelize a new
operating system is whether it can reproduce in most areas and excede in
at least one the performance of the old.  For somebody who can't
appreciate the fine points of kernel architecture, I don't think Linux
can do that at this point in time.