Re: How to use debian lists

Thomas H. George wrote:

> I have gotten some excellent answers to my questions and picked up
> useful information from other user's questions and answers but
>
> I'm swamped!
>
> Often I am away from my computer for several days and return to find
> 1,000+ messages.  It takes a long time to download and delete them much
> less scan them for interesting items.  I unsuvscribed for a while
> because of this and am thinking of doing so again.  What I'd like is a
> way of switching on and off depending on my need to ask a question and
> the time I have available to download and scan messages.

You might want to read the debian list in a news group like
muc.lists.debian.user. I switched from  reading debian-user as a mailing
list to a newsgroup .

Reading from a news group is only a few hours behind  the mailing list, but
you can still reply directly to the list and a good newsreader has all the
threading and filters you need plus you wont see messages you've already
marked as read. Works for me.