Display problem with 2.2r3 just installed

I have been attempting to install Potato 2.2r3 from
CD-ROMS onto my Dell 4100 pentium III with 32MB NVIDIA
GeForce2 video card and 8 year old CrystalScan 1572
monitor. Using apt-get I intended to install X-windows
packages with several window managers and gave best
guesses for my monitor maximum resolution and refresh
rates. Initial reboot found me in a command line
charcter based environment. On my second boot up the
screen shows only dots and dashes in black and white
in what looks like peices of characters. Do I need to
load specific drivers for the video card? Did I make
bad guesses at monitor values? If so is there a way to
correct this without reinitializing my partitions and
reinstalling from scratch?