Re: Two Problems

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 11:12:02AM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:

| 2) My second problem is one that my ISP administrator cannot solve.
| Until last summer, I could get onto the internet with any version of
| linux that I tried. Typical of what I get now is what I get with
| wvdial (same thing happens with RedHat):
|
| Connect
| Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
| PPP daemon has died
| pppd error.
|
| My ISP administrator says that when he uses linux with his computer through
| the modem that serves my area, he gets connected. He seems to want to blame
| my computer. Since I have no trouble with Windows and even Beos worked when
| I tried it, I cannot see how it can be my computer.

My suggestion would be to try minicom.  It is a modem dialer, but it
gives you a sort of interactive prompt.  That way you can see exactly
what your modem/ISP is responding with.  I used it to figure out the
exact sequence of send/reply pairs to use with chat.  It works quite
well.

Once you get the modem to dial properly and chat authenticates you,
you need to get pppd configured right.  I found through trial and
error what to use for PAP authentication options.

HTH,
-D