Newbie question - Java install

Hi all

Excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask, but it seemed to be the closest
thing to a debian newbie list that I could find!

I've got a problem with an install of the Sun Java SDK on my debian box.  I
ftp'd the bash script install from Sun, and ran it.  The whole thing seemed
to go well, until I tried to test it with

java -?

This gave me the following error code:

/usr/local/jre/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error in loading shared
libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file:  No
Such file or directory.

Following some advice from someone else I tried to Locate the file, but it
doesn't appear to be any where on the system.

Has anyone got an ideas on this?