Re: nautilus 1.0.3-2 won't start

Philipp Bliedung wrote:

> hi
>
> I apt-get nautilus from unstable and the installation went  without any
> errors, but when I try to start it I get this error message:
>
> nautilus: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared
> object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
> error while loading shared libraries: nautilus: undefined symbol:
> xmlCheckVersion

  it works here on 'pure' unstable, just installed it.

> which package am I missing? What does the xmlCheck mean?
> (originally I'm on a potato machine but I have  A LOT of stuff from
> unstable, which I need for games and multimedia - so it could well be
> that there is a package that I miss ... or maybe two ...)

  then why not have unstable?

  my experience is that unstable is the best way to go for a computer
that is not mission critical... I have been using unstable most of the
time since the time potato was unstable and had no major problems.

  I tried testing for some time but as far as I can tell it combines the
worst of both words:

  - you don't have the latest stuff (which is important in lot of cases
- e.g. kernel etc...), the gap is often in range of months

  - the fixes are slow to come (weeks in testing compared to days in
unstable)

  I had considerably less problems since I switched back to unstable
about a month ago...

  that leaves you with two choices - unstable and stable. since stable
is too 'old' for you then obvious choice is unstable... you do not gain
any stability by combining the unstable and stble, you actually loose
some as shown by the nautilus problem... that's just IMO, of course...

	erik