Removing Helix libgtk1.2

A while back I toyed with the Helix version of Gnome - bad decision.
Have since been weeding out the Helix packagaes that cause all kinds of
crossed wires in normal debian upgrades.

I've found that I still have the Helix libgtk1.2 - but a simple

dpkg --purge libgtk1.2 wants to take about 30 (normal debian)packages with
it!

Is there a neat way of removing the Helix package and replacing it with
the debian version of libgtk1.2 without stripping out and re-installing
half my favourite programmes?

Any help much appreciated.

Glyn
--