configuring line printer

Hello,

I am trying to adapt text output to my Nec Pinwriter with MagicFilter. The
manual from the printer tells me that the escape sequence 'ESC x0' will
set a different font to print with. So, I made a filter file with a line:

default                 cat     \01bx0

because the ASCII code for escape is 27 (0x1b). However, it does not
work. When I change the escape code to \033, everything works fine. But,
according to my ASCII table, 0x33 is the digit '3'. So why is this?
I am also having difficulties with other escape sequences, like FS
(0x1c) or SI (0x0f).

And how must I enter a sequence like this?:
ESC SI ESC FS 3 22

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan

--