Re: Where's lame

On Monday 07 May 2001 21:21, Alan Shutko wrote:
> MaD dUCK <madduck@madduck.net> writes:
> >   "Personal and commercial use of compiled versions of LAME (or any
> >    other mp3 encoder) requires a patent license in
> >    some countries."
>
> Has anyone compared it's ogg/vorbis output to oggenc?  I'd be
> interested in what GPSYCHO can do for quality.  It might be that it's
> be worth packaging a version of lame with MP3 output disabled....

Versions of Lame that can make oggs don't use Gpsycho for that. They use the
same code that's in libvorbis and therefore the same psychoacoustic model as
is used when you use oggenc. I'm not sure if libvorbis is statically linked
to lame, if yes it might be an older version than the one you can use with
oggenc and this means not so good quality.