athome funny business [was Slow Cable Modem Revisited]

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 11:21:12AM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> Suddenly it occurred to me that the slowdown I'd started seeing with my
> @home service began occurring right arounf the time I took my LinkSys
> Etherlink II card (uses ne2k-pci driver) out and replaced it with a D-Link
> DFE-530TX+ (uses rtl8139 driver.)  So I put it back in and lo and behold!
> my connection is zipping along again.
>
> I still think @home are up to some funny business but for now I'm happy.

Hehe. Speaking of funny business, I just had @home set up, and the cable
installer never left me a modem manual, and 3com is <sarcasm>being their
usually helpful self again</sarcasm> about offering content obscured in
javascript.[0]

So I emailed support to ask for a user manual. I'm sent back an
'individual' boilerplate response suggesting I power-cycle the modem and
reboot my computer. Yeaaaah...

[0]Is it worth a try with these companies, when told that one needs to
upgrade one's browser to a version that supports javascript, to suggest
donating money to the SPI | lynx devel team so they can WRITE a new
version with javascript support (insofar as javascript can be ported to
linear rendering)?

-- Ferret