Diagrams with Dia: Help!

Has anyone been able to get dia to work worth a darn? I've tried it on
two machines, one with woody and the other with potato. I've tried both
dia-gnome and dia. I can draw just fine, can save it as a dia file, and
can export as and eps file. When I try to open the dia file again, the
sketch is off the edge of the axies, or one or more of the scroll bars
lock, or I get messages like:

** WARNING **: v_len_sq is NaN while calculating bezier curve!

Or even better:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkpixmap.c: line 822 (gdk_pixmap_unref):
assertion `pixmap != NULL' failed.

This is really frustrating because it makes great diagrams....and then I
lose them.

-Glen