Re: Spontaneous reboot! HW diagnostics?

On Fri, May 04, 2001, Tony Crawford wrote:
> Hi Gang!
>
> After over 100 days of error-free service, my Debian 2.2/i486
> dial-up-router-cum-print-server did a spontaneous reboot
> yesterday.
>
> (Aftermath: the CMOS clock had jumped ahead an hour and a half,
> the nmbd log contained non-printing characters at that point,
> and 1 e-mail in the exim spool was corrupt.) Before this happens
> again, maybe somebody can recommend ways to test for decaying
> silicon? Preferably in-service; if that's not possible then at
> least without booting a different OS?

Hi Tony,

memtest86 (available from
http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/) will give your memory
at least a good workout.  It needs to be run directly from boot off of
floppy in real mode of processor).

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics