Re: SMTP Connections

also sprach David Steinberg (on Thu, 03 May 2001 10:05:44AM -0700):
> When it tries to connect to a mail server, the connection is either
> refused or just hangs and then times out.  Just to test, I also tried
> using telnet to connect to port 25 of the same hosts.  Same thing: either
> "telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused" or nothing.

are you behind a firewall?
try to telnet to port 25 of mail.madduck.net - if you get a refusal,
then you have a problem on your side and i think you might have a
firewall that blocks outgoing 25 connects (which is not uncommon).

the easy way out is to use your commpany's smtp relay server as the
smtp forwarding host (relay) for exim.

> On what basis could a mail server decide which hosts it is going to allow
> to connect to it?

ip addresses mostly...

there's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to.