samba setup gaflooey

now that apple-communications are all lovely (thanks to ethan and
his quickie fix) i though samba would be a breeze.

silly me.

after 24 hours, my uptime was OVER FIVE, and tcpd was consuming
98% of cpu time (according to 'top')..
 9869 ?        R      0:01  \_ tcpd /usr/sbin/nmbd -a
 8493 ?        R    539:49  \_ tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd
 9205 ?        R    119:45  \_ tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd
 9276 ?        R    106:22  \_ tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd

aside from not knowing where to go to tell windows 98 that
there's a mountable volume Out There on the network neighborhood,
how can i reinstall samba on my debian machine and tame it so it
leaves me some cpu cycles to work with?

i know there are documents -- like the library of congress
contains books. please point, i'll go.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #29 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: