Kernel sound problems

I have been running kernel 2.4.1 without any problems for some time now
on my Debian (woody) box. I just tried to upgrade to 2.4.4, but now
mp3's don't play properly - it's just a bunch of static and the time
ticks over really slowly (thats in xmms, but the same problem also
occurs in mpg123). CD's play fine.

Here's my configuration:
    Athlon 800MHz
    192 MB RAM
    es1371 sound card (compiled into the kernel)

Any ideas as to what the problem could be - everything worked fine for
2.4.1, but any release since (2.4.2, 2.4.3 and 2.4.4) all have this
problem?

TIA

Craig

--