Re: ESD no long works after new alsa modules compilation

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
> 	I don't know what's happening.. but it seems like my esd can no
> long startup after I compile and install the new module 0.9+0beta3-1. also
> some of the option for module ens1371 are no long support, isn't it? it
> gave me the follow when I start. Anyone knows what's happening?
>
> Couldn't open any alsa card! Last card tried was 0
> Error opening card 0: Sound protocol is not compatible
> Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
[...]

Jeez, prune it a bit the next time, will you.

Anyway, just about everything seems to break with the new alsa modules...
Timidity will break, esd (yuck!) will break, and I suppose arts (double
yuck!) will too if it supports alsa in native mode.

Reinstall the old 0.5 modules (and 0.5 alsa-source just in case you need to
recompile the modules), but keep all the other 0.9 packages. That will solve
the problem.

I hope "0.9" means "last backwards-incompatible interface changes" in a
loooooong while.

  Henrique Holschuh