okay here's a more specific question to get me started on the alsa path

I'm really floundering getting alsa going. All the howto's, etc that I've read all recommend recompiling your kernel with soundsupport as the first step.

I've got the 2.2.18pre21 kernel installed and working fine from Debian. Do I need to recompile, or can I just load soundcore as a module?

If that's all that alsa is requiring, can I then just install and configure alsa? Is there some other reason to compile a kernel? It seems excessive to me that one would have to compile a kernel to install sound drivers.

Shawn Garbett